Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A poem for Boston

Dear Boston,

This is the poem I wrote for you on your one year birthday.  I put this poem on the back of your birthday invitation and wrote it to the cadence of Good Night Moon (the theme for your birthday party and a favorite book of yours). 

In the white nursery room there was a baby boy who'd be turning one soon
and a momma who rocked him and sang him a tune.

It was getting late yet the boy stayed awake.  The momma grabbed off the shelf a book that would help.
When the last word was read she laid him in bed.

While he slept he did dream of a beautiful scene.  A great green room and a cow jumping over the moon.

Goodnight moon he said, and goodnight crib for a bed.
Goodnight pacifiers, and goodnight all nighters.

Goodnight pureed mush, I know there's no rush,
but I'm growing up fast

and finally at last!  Goodnight nursery room I'll be turning one soon!

Love,

Momma
My copy of GNM that was read to me as a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment